Drive To 12 Covered Bridges In Bucks County, Pennsylvania
by Steven Skelley & Thomas Routzong
Bucks County, Pennsylvania is the fourth most populous county in Pennsylvania. It is the home of Sesame Place amusement park themed after the popular children’s television show Sesame Street. It is also the home of nine wineries. And for lovers of covered bridges, Bucks County houses a treasure of twelve beautiful covered bridges.
VisitBucksCounty has published an excellent do-it-yourself driving tour of these rare bridges.
This tour of Bucks County's 12 remaining covered bridges starts at the Memorial Building in Washington Crossing Historic Park on the Delaware River. The Tour makes a large circle through Bucks County and is planned so the traveler can start at any one of the bridges.
START: MEMORIAL BUILDING - WASHINGTON CROSSING HISTORIC PARK
• Go north on Rt. 32 / River Road, 4.4 miles to Lurgan Road
• Turn left, 1.5 miles to Van Sant Road
• Turn right, 0.6 miles to
VAN SANT COVERED BRIDGE
Built in 1875, this bridge is 86 feet long and was one of two built across Pidcock Creek. The second, Neely Mill Bridge, was removed in 1937.
• Continue 1 mile to Aquetong Road
• Turn left, 8 miles to Carversville Road
• Turn left, then immediate right onto Wismer Road, 4.3 miles to
LOUX COVERED BRIDGE
Loux Bridge was built in 1874 and is 60 feet long, the second shortest in the county. It was built of hemlock which was once plentiful in the area.
• Continue 0.5 miles to Dark Hollow Road
• Turn right, 1 mile to Covered Bridge Road
• Turn right, 0.6 miles, to
CABIN RUN COVERED BRIDGE
Crossing Cabin Run Creek in Plumstead Township, this bridge stands 82 feet long and was built in 1871 by David Sutton, who built several bridges in the area.
• Return to Dark Hollow Road,
• Stay straight onto Dark Hollow Road, 3.2 miles to Cafferty Road
• Turn left, 0.8 miles to
FRANKENFIELD COVERED BRIDGE
Built in 1872, Frankenfield Bridge spans 130 feet over Tinicum Creek, two miles upstream from the point at which the creek empties into the Delaware River.
• Continue on Cafferty Road, 0.7 miles to Headquarters Road
• Turn right, 0.2 miles to Cafferty Road
• Turn left, 1.3 miles to Geigel Hill Road
• Turn right, 3.0 miles to
ERWINNA COVERED BRIDGE
At only 56 feet long, Erwinna Bridge is the shortest covered bridge in the county. It was built in 1832 and is a good example of lattice-type construction.
• Continue through bridge, Geigel Hill Road turns into Headquarters Road
• Continue straight 0.3 miles to River Road
• Turn left, 1.7 miles to Uhlerstown Hill Road
• Turn left, 0.3 miles to
UHLERSTOWN COVERED BRIDGE
Built of oak in 1832, it is the only Bucks County covered bridge over the former Delaware Canal, which parallels the Delaware River near the Pennsylvania border.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Uhlerstown Hill Road west of the bridge is closed during the winter months. All vehicular traffic must turn around and return to River Road. The road re-opens on or about April 1 as a one-way road.
• Turn around at bridge and return to River Road
• Turn left onto Rt. 32 / River Road, 8 miles to Rt. 611 / Easton Road
• Turn right for Rt. 611 North, 1.8 miles to Rt. 212 / Durham Road
• Turn left, 4.4 miles to Rt. 412 / Main St.
• Turn left, 1.5 miles to Slifer Valley Road
• Turn right, 1.8 miles to Knecht Bridge Road
• Turn left for
KNECHT'S COVERED BRIDGE
Located in Slifer Valley Knecht's Bridge was built of hemlock and is set on the route of the Penn family's famous Walking Purchase.
• Return to Slifer Valley Road
• Turn left, 1.2 miles to Rt. 212 / Old Bethlehem Pike
• Turn left, 1.1 miles to Old Bethlehem Road
• Bear left, 4.4 miles to Thatcher Road
• Turn right, 0.5 miles to Covered Bridge Road
• Turn left, 0.3 miles to
SHEARD'S COVERED BRIDGE
Sheard's Bridge crosses Tohickon Creek near the village of Thatcher. Built in 1873, the bridge stretches 130 feet over the Tohickon.
• Continue through bridge, 1.2 miles to Richlandtown Road
• Turn left, then immediate right onto Rt. 563 / Mountain View Drive
• Follow Mountain View Drive 0.9 miles to Rt. 313 / Dublin Pike
• Turn left, 1.7 miles to N 5th Street
• Turn right, 0.9 miles to W Schwenkmill Road
• Turn left, 0.3 miles onto Branch Road
• Turn right, 0.9 miles onto Blooming Glen Road
• Turn right to
MOOD'S COVERED BRIDGE
Mood's Bridge crosses the northeast branch of the Perkiomen Creek in East Rockhill. The original bridge was built in 1874. The bridge that stands today was built in 2007 after the original was destroyed by a fire in 2004.
• Continue through bridge to N 5th Street
• Turn left, 1.4 miles to Walnut Street
• Turn left, 0.3 miles to Lenape Park to
SOUTH PERKASIE COVERED BRIDGE
Originally spanning Pleasant Spring Creek, South Perkasie Bridge was moved to the safety of Lenape Park in Perkasie in 1959. A famous sign on the end of the bridge reads "$5.00 fine for any person riding or driving over this bridge faster than a walk or smoking a segar on"
• Turn right onto Walnut Street, 1.9 miles to E Main Street / Souderton Road
• Turn left, then immediate right onto Baringer Street / Rt. 152 S, 2.4 miles to Hilltown Pike
• Turn right, 0.3 miles to N Limekiln Pike
• Turn left, 1.7 miles to Creek Road
• Turn left, 0.9 miles to Callowhill Road
• Turn right, 0.4 miles to Ferry Road
• Turn left, 0.4 miles to Old Iron Hill Road
• Turn right, 0.4 miles to
PINE VALLEY COVERED BRIDGE
Built in 1842 for a cost of $5,533.50 (more than $100,000 today), Pine Valley Bridge crosses the Pine Run Creek and is sometimes called the Iron Hill Bridge.
• Continue through bridge 0.5 miles to Rt. 202 / Butler Avenue
• Turn left, follow Rt. 202 6.8 miles to Rt. 413 / Durham Road
• Turn right, 6.5 miles to Worthington Mill Road
• Turn right, 1.2 miles to Swamp Road
• Turn left, 0.8 miles to Covered Bridge Park (Part of Tyler State Park).
• Take walking path to
SCHOFIELD FORD COVERED BRIDGE
Schofield Ford Bridge crosses the Neshaminy Creek within the boundaries of Tyler State Park. At 150 feet long, it is Bucks County's longest covered bridge. The bridge was rebuilt after it was destroyed by fire in 1991 and is open only to foot and equestrian traffic.
To return to the beginning of the tour:
• Return to Swamp Road
• Turn left, 0.8 miles to Worthington Mill Road
• Turn right, 1.2 miles to Rt. 413 / Durham Road
• Turn left, 1.3 miles to Rt. 232 / Windy Bush Road
• Turn slight right, 3.4 miles to Pidcock Creek Road
• Turn right, 0.8 miles to Covered Bridge Road
• Turn right for
VAN SANT COVERED BRIDGE
You've now successfully completed the Bucks County Covered Bridge Driving Tour!
For more information, visit
To learn more about the state of Pennsylvania’s travel highlights, visit http://www.visitpa.com/
By Steven Skelley and Thomas Routzong. Copyright 2015 Sunny Harbor Publishing. PO Box 560318 Rockledge, FL 32956. Phone: 321-446-7552. Email: SunnyHarborPublishing@yahoo.com
Photo: Reflections by Ruth Photography, courtesy of Visit Bucks County
Keywords: Bucks County, PA, Pennsylvania, covered bridge, covered bridges, covered bridge tour, VAN SANT COVERED BRIDGE, SCHOFIELD FORD COVERED BRIDGE, PINE VALLEY COVERED BRIDGE, SOUTH PERKASIE COVERED BRIDGE, MOOD'S COVERED BRIDGE, SHEARD'S COVERED BRIDGE, KNECHT'S COVERED BRIDGE, UHLERSTOWN COVERED BRIDGE, ERWINNA COVERED BRIDGE, FRANKENFIELD COVERED BRIDGE, CABIN RUN COVERED BRIDGE, LOUX COVERED BRIDGE, WASHINGTON CROSSING HISTORIC PARK, visitpa,